Willis B. Boyer and William P. Snyder, Jr. at Hocking Valley Docks, 1985
This image was taken in 1985 when the Willis B. Boyer and William P. Snyder, Jr. were laid up at the Hocking Valley docks awaiting their fates. Click here to see another image of boats at the Hocking Valley docks.
The Boyer was built in 1911 as the Col. James M. Schoonmaker and held the title of “Queen of the Lakes,” meaning it was the longest freighter operating on the Great Lakes. The Snyder Jr. was built in 1912 using the same ship plans and they shared the title of “Queen of the Lakes” until 1927. After this photo was taken, the Boyer would go on to become a museum ship in 1986 and the Snyder Jr. was towed to Port Colborne for scrapping. Click here to take a virtual tour of the Col. James M. Schoonmaker Museum Ship.
This exhibit is made possible by visitors like you. Please consider making a donation to the National Museum of the Great Lakes to help us continue our important work of preserving and making know the history of the Great Lakes.