Parrish & Heimbecker Shipping Limited
Parrish & Heimbecker Limited, commonly known as P&H Ltd., is a Canadian grain company that has been in business for 114 years. The company was founded in 1909 by two grain-trading families led by William Parrish and Norman G. Heimbecker and remains a private, family-owned business managed by descendants of the founders. The P&H logo is a shield with an old English script of the letters “P&H” at the center, seen on this seven-foot swallowtail flag. In the 1980s, P&H Ltd. joined the shipping business after purchasing the fleet of the Soo River Company, thus creating P&H Shipping, Ltd. After the purchase, the vessels were rechristened, naming them after types of trees, such as the Cedarglen, Willowglen, and Oakglen. In the early 2000s, the fleet was sold to Canada Steamship Lines, CSL, who kept the names given by P&H. Today, Parrish & Heimbecker Ltd. is one of the largest agri-food companies, the largest flour miller in Canada, and the third largest grain handler by operating over forty-grain elevators, along with several flour and feed mills, and marine terminals across the country.
This exhibit is made possible by visitors like you. Please consider making a donation to the National Museum of the Great Lakes to help us continue our important work of preserving and making know the history of the Great Lakes.