Midland Steamship Line Inc.
This three-foot-long rectangular flag flew for Midland Steamship Line, Incorporated, a company involved in the Great Lakes grain trade. The company was incorporated in Wilmington, Delaware on November 14, 1931, and wasted no time securing vessels for its fleet. Upon its inception, Midland purchased the remaining vessels of the Becker Steamship Company, a subsidiary of the Valley Camp Steamship Company. Midland Steamship never had a boat specifically designed or built for them, but rather purchased vessels from other fading companies. The majority of Midland’s vessels worked in the grain trade, however, Midland did have a handful of vessels used for other types of cargo. The company thrived for nearly thirty years until the opening of the modern St. Lawrence Seaway in 1959. The new seaway allowed for vessels to bypass Buffalo, New York, a central hub for Midland and grain delivery. Due to this, the company was unable to retain profits which led to the officers of Midland deciding it was time to liquidate the company entirely and sell the sixteen vessels in their fleet between 1961-1963. On September 30, 1963, the company was completely liquidated and all operations of Midland Steamship Line, Incorporated came to an end.
This exhibit is made possible by visitors like you. Please consider making a donation to the National Museum of the Great Lakes to help us continue our important work of preserving and making know the history of the Great Lakes.