Marine Fueling Inc.
This three-foot-long rectangular flag was used by Marine Fueling Incorporated. The oil company began around 1955 after obtaining its first vessel, the Cemico, from Erie Navigation Company. Four years later, the vessel was renamed Marine Fuel to match the company name. The 1960s was the company’s height for success and fleet size after adding five more vessels bringing the total up to six. The MO 643 was the last vessel to join the fleet in 1974 operating as a barge for only a year within the company. Between the late 1970s and early 1980s, Marine Fuel steadily sold off its fleet to various oil companies across the lakes and on the east coast. Their final sale was in 1982 bringing the company to an end.
This exhibit is made possible by visitors like you. Please consider making a donation to the National Museum of the Great Lakes to help us continue our important work of preserving and making know the history of the Great Lakes.