A well known logo that can be spotted on the lakes today is the black bear used by Algoma Central Corporation. The Corporation was founded as Algoma Central Railway in 1899 to transport iron ore and timber from Sault Ste. Marie to a main Canadian Pacific Rail line. In 1900, after a successful first year in the railway system, Algoma joined in on the freight shipping business by purchasing four steam vessels, thus creating Algoma Central Marine. The company logo has remained the same for each of the different divisions within the company since its founding and is seen on this seven and half-foot long elongated swallowtail flag. The Algoma Corporation may have chosen the black bear due to its presence in the Algoma County area.