Mentor Harbor Yachting Club

East of Cleveland, Ohio, is the stomping grounds of Mentor Harbor Yachting Club. Centuries before, the area was a lush marsh, laced with thick vegetation, serving as a home for wildlife and fish. Throughout the 19th and the early 20th centuries, investors in the fishing, iron, and railroad industries reformed the marsh to fit their needs. Unknowingly, their efforts laid the future foundation of Mentor Harbor Yachting Club.

In 1926, James Murphy, Donald McBride, E. Nash Matthews, and Roy S. Dunham, as part of a syndicate, sought to purchase a “Venice-like” location for a yacht club. In their quest, they discovered a piece of property on the marsh and knew it had to be theirs. Several months later, the syndicate was named as the Mentor Harbor Company and drafted a long-term plan which included dredging the marsh and constructing a concrete-walled harbor, breakwater, channel, and a clubhouse. With their visions in place, the group incorporated as the Mentor Harbor Yachting Club in 1928. By the early 1940s, all plans came to fruition, and the number of members boomed. The club strives with several hundred active members today and holds annual regattas, races, and events. 

This exhibit is made possible by visitors like you.  Please consider making a donation to the National Museum of the Great Lakes to help us continue our important work of preserving and making know the history of the Great Lakes.