Inter-Lake Yachting Association Comet Class 1939

In 1932, Mrs. Elliot Wheeler sent a request to C. Lowndes Johnson of Easton, Maryland to construct a small, fast, and easy to handle boat for her two boys. In March of that year, Johnson drafted the plans for the “Crab” boat. The following year in 1933, Johnson built the first of many and renamed his creation the “Junior Star.” After appearing in two major boating affairs, Johnson was receiving hundreds of requests of the blueprints for the “Junior Star” to be built all over the United States. 

In February of 1933, the name changed to the “Comet” because the president of the Star Class, George Elder objected to the name “Junior Star.’ Elder had designed a short-rig Star boat  and wanted to use “Junior Star” for the name. Thus the official name Comet was given along with its symbol of a shooting star placed on the mainsail. 

The Comet racing yacht is sixteen feet long, has a beam of five feet, a draft of three feet, and a mast height of twenty feet five inches. Like the Star Class, all Comets are a one-design class, meaning all dimensions and specifications of the build are identical to one another. The riggings and equipment used on board varies from crew to crew. In 1939, the Inter-Lake Yachting Association held a Comet class race during its annual regatta, awarding this flag to the second place finisher.

This exhibit is made possible by visitors like you.  Please consider making a donation to the National Museum of the Great Lakes to help us continue our important work of preserving and making know the history of the Great Lakes.