In 1940, small craft owners throughout the Cleveland, Ohio area, received postcards in their mailboxes inviting them to a meeting regarding a potential yacht club in the eastern end of Greater Cleveland. Dockage by Euclid Park at the end of 222nd St. in Euclid, Ohio was the focus of the meeting. Many attendees didn’t like the idea of leaving their vessels unprotected on the open water of Lake Erie and suggested searching for a more protected location.
Later that year, a section of land became available west of the Chagrin River, and the search party jumped at the opportunity. The property included several existing buildings resting on a hilltop that overlooked a lagoon; an ideal spot for a yacht club. With little deliberation, the search party agreed to purchase the property. On June 20, 1941, the Chagrin Lagoons Yacht Club was incorporated.