In honor of the 47th Anniversary of the loss of the S.S. Edmund Fitzgerald, we are offering a weekend of special tours. The Fitzgerald Experience is a guided tour of the Col. James M. Schoonmaker Museum Ship, using our lake freighter and its similarities to the Edmund Fitzgerald to discuss the events of November 10, 1975, theories surrounding the vessel’s sinking, and stories about the 29 crew members who were lost.
- Tickets are $20 for members and $25 for non-members.
- Each tour will be limited to 8 people.
- The tour is approximately 75 minutes long.
- Guest also receive a museum store discount of 10% (non-members) / 20% (members) off in-store purchases.
- Your tour purchase includes admission to the National Museum of the Great Lakes.
Due to its historical accuracy, the Col. James M. Schoonmaker Museum Ship is not handicap or wheelchair accessible. Narrow, steep staircases are common throughout the Schoonmaker and may provide difficulties in accessibility for some.
The Schoonmaker is also not heated and much of the tour is on uncovered decks. We encourage you to dress appropriately for the weather. If we determine that the weather has made these tours impossible, we will provide a refund of the ticket price (minus fees). If the program is canceled we are not planning a make-up date.
You can process a refund (minus fees) and cancel your ticket up to 7 days before the event.
Advanced Registration Recommended. Click below to see tour times and to register via Eventbrite
Sign up online or call 419.214.5000 ext. 200.