Make a memory that of a lifetime by watching Santa arrive at the museum’s dock aboard a Geo. Gradel Co. tugboat delivering Christmas Trees into your hands or the hands of someone in need.
On November 23, 1912, the schooner Rouse Simmons sank while carrying Christmas trees. Known as the Christmas Tree Ship, her captain, Herman E. Schuenemann (a.k.a. “Captain Santa”), was known for giving trees to families in need. This is the inspiration behind our annual Christmas Tree Ship event.
In partnership with Geo Gradel Co., spectators can watch Santa Claus and a boatload of Christmas trees navigate the Maumee River via Facebook Live and then watch in-person as the decorated tugboat docks behind the National Museum of the Great Lakes and delivers the trees. Once at the museum, Santa will take his place to receive visitors in front of the Museum Tug Ohio.
Admission to the museum exhibits will be FREE for all who purchase a tree, donate a tree, or donate towards a gift card.
• The Facebook Live event onboard will begin around 12:45 via @nmgltoledo
• The Christmas Tree Ship is expected to arrive around 1 p.m.
• This is a FREE outdoor event and will be open to the general public.
• Trees are approximately 5 to 7 feet tall.
• Each tree is $60 and includes family museum admission on December 3.
• No walk-up tree sales.
• Trees MUST be pre-ordered by 5 p.m. on Tues., Nov. 29, and picked up at the event.
• All gift card support and tree purchases are done by registering online via Eventbrite or at the museum.
GET A TREE / GIVE A GIFT DETAILS:
Get your Christmas Tree from Toledo’s very own “Christmas Tree Ship” OR donate a tree or a gift card to a family in need. This year in partnership with United Way of Greater Toledo and 2-1-1, we are working with East Toledo Family Center, Family House, Lucas County Children’s Services, and Sylvania Area Family Services to distribute trees to families in need.
GIFT CARD DONATION DETAILS:
The holidays are a time for giving! Beyond purchasing a tree for you or a family in need, you can also donate to provide a family with a gift card to help support holiday needs. Gift cards will be distributed by our partners: East Toledo Family Center, Family House, Lucas County Children’s Services, and Sylvania Area Family Services.
*Individuals interested in learning more about receiving a donated tree are encouraged to reach out to one of our recipient partners or simply call 2-1-1.