Set foot in spaces typically off-limits to visitors in an exclusive, behind-the-scenes tour of the Col. James M. Schoonmaker Museum Ship, the Museum Tug Ohio and the St. Marys Challenger Pilothouse. During this 2 hour experience you have the exclusive opportunity to take a deeper dive into the ships inner workings and visit “hard-hat” only locations like the:
- The Schoonmaker‘s Owners Galley, the lowest points of the boat, and a deeper look at the engine room.
- The Tug Ohio’s Engine Room and Forward Cabins.
- The Interior of the St. Marys Challenger Pilothouse (currently still under restoration efforts).
From glimpses into our newest artifacts restoration, to the Schoonmaker‘s original boiler bricks—you’ll see it all from an insider’s view.
- Tours last approximately 2 hours and will be offered to groups of 8 or less at 10 a.m., 11 a.m., 1 p.m. and 2 p.m.
- The spaces that we will be sharing with you on this tour are difficult to access. The tour will include a lot of climbing of steep and narrow stairways and a lot of bending to accommodate for low head room.
- We encourage you to dress appropriately including wearing closed-toed shoes, long pants, and clothes you don’t mind getting dirty. We will provide hard hats and any other safety necessities.